hedgehog lab is a global technology consultancy and we are on a growth trajectory. We are looking for a Senior Backend Developer who can help us deliver great products & digital solutions to our customers across the globe.
While we have always been about premium digital experiences, to deliver the ambitious product roadmaps of our current customers (who consist of some of the biggest FTSE 100 & Fortune 500 companies) we need to take our skills & the team to the next level to deliver a world-class service. We would love for you to come on that journey and help us do some award-winning work.
Why hedgehog lab?
- Ranked byClutch for mobile app development
- We work with clients of all sizes, from startups to FTSE 100 companies across a range of sectors. If you want to build your portfolio, this is the place to do it. Check out some of our past client work here.
- A transparent and open company culture based on trust, where politics is shunned and everyone works as a team.
- Our People are our greatest asset, and we are so proud to have been certified as a Great Place to Work, as rated by 91% of our business.
- We’re a fully Flexified Employer, certified by Flexa. We know a one size fits all approach doesn’t work for everyone, we work with our employees to establish a model that benefits both parties.
- Check out our Glassdoor reviews!
- Full-time, permanent Backend Engineer working on platform backend APIs
- Interpret client requirements and suggest development approaches
- Recognise problems and be able to arrive at a solution either independently, or with other colleagues
- Contribute to the continual development of our internal development processes
- Assist with the technical architecture and approach for projects
- Provide technical leadership for a range of projects. Participate in agile ceremonies, contribute to estimation, identify and escalate issues to product and technical management. Support clients with technical advice and elicit requirements.
- Proficiency in OO PHP and Laravel, ideally up to date with recent changes
- Proficiency in database design, writing SQL queries and optimisation techniques (MySQL in particular)
- Strong familiarity with object oriented design patterns and system design
- Knowledge and experience of unit and integration testing
- API design and development experience, with a focus on REST principles
- Ability to estimate technical effort required to design and implement new functionality
- Ability to debug and fix complex issues
- Experience using git
- Experience using unix (desktop / server admin) - although you’re free to use any operating system you like for local development
- Passionate with a desire to deliver world-class products
- Detail oriented and delivery focused, with the ability to think big
- Organised and self-motivated
- An excellent communicator (verbally and written), capable of inspiring colleagues and clients
- Outgoing, personable, sociable and easy going
- Willingness to participate in our code/peer review processes
- Always eager to learn and to share knowledge
- Comfortable with pressure and deadlines and can work in a fast paced environment
Stage 1 - Intro call with our Talent Acquisition Advisor (30 mins Google Meet)
Stage 2 - Interview with our Engineering Manager (30 mins Google Meet)
Stage 3 - Tech Test (take home, no deadline)
Stage 4 - Technical interview with the team (60 mins Google Meet)
What We Offer
- 36 days paid holidays, including bank holidays. Work-life balance is very important to refresh and ensure you are fully rested
- Flexible working environment. We understand that not one approach fits everyone. Whether they are working from the office or home we fully support our team.
- An enhanced maternity policy. Our maternity policy offers enhanced maternity pay above the statutory amount
- Bippit Financial wellbeing service. It’s important that people have the insight and education to overcome their financial concerns and we offer access to a financial well-being solution to help
- BUPA Health Plan. This cash plan covers UK employees claiming an amount of cash back for things like optical, dental and other therapies
- A transparent and open company culture where politics is shunned and everyone works as a team.
- We encourage continuous learning and development. Each team member has an Annual Learning & Development budget and 4 days which renew every year to help them grow
- Annual Wellbeing budget (inclusive of 2 paid wellbeing days). This is for everyone to spend on anything they might enjoy that helps them relax and switch off.
- Mental health support with free therapy sessions. Mental health is extremely important to us. Our partner Spill is a Slack-integrated therapy app available to all our staff at no extra cost
- Financial wellbeing services. It’s important that people have the insight and education to overcome their financial concerns and we offer access to a financial well-being solution to help!
- Monthly payday socials and annual Summer and Christmas parties. We also like to celebrate important cultural milestones here at the lab
- All our staff are entitled to the Cycle-to-Work scheme to save money & spread the cost on a new bike and accessories.
- Company-supplied Apple Mac. All equipment is set up and provided before onboarding new team members
Diversity & Inclusion Statement
At hedgehog lab, our team is our greatest asset.
We believe that having diversity within our team is integral to doing our best work and creating the most innovative products for our customers. We will continue to foster an inclusive culture at the lab where everyone can be their authentic selves and thrive.
We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply to our roles and we don’t discriminate based on race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, nationality, genetics, disability or age.
If you require any adjustments to submit an application for a vacancy, or if you require any reasonable adjustment should you be invited to interview then please complete this form: Adjustments to the hiring process. Please note, you do not have to have a registered disability to request reasonable adjustments. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask: email@example.com
We are a family friendly employer with a culture based on trust, autonomy and flexibility.
We are always learning and our policies and processes are ever evolving to make sure that they’re in line with this statement.